Sunday, October 19, 2008

Multi-racial, perhaps not.

In the recent months, there have been various breaking news all over the world. For the US, the downfall of Lehman brothers and for the rest of the world, their stocks which have turned worthless over just a span of a few days.

No doubt these news affect Singapore, but in our local newspapers, a prominent debate that has been going on. There has been an ongoing tussle between the Singapore government and the Serangoon Gardens residents regarding the issue of building foreign dorms there, since the controversy of terrible living conditions these overseas/foreign workers have had to endure. That however resulted in the government giving the green light, and the residents being displeased.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/376578/1/.html
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/serangoon-gardens-foreign-attitudes/
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_285769.html

One thought that came to my mind when I read the articles was:
I thought Singapore was a multi-racial country that took pride in accepting different cultures and embracing them. This is definitely not a very loving act that these Serangoon Gardens residents have done to them.

I was taking the taxi that day, and the taxi driver started to talk to me about this whole issue. He told me that these workers "work like hell, digging, drilling, breathing in those terrible smoke, perhaps going deaf in the process of doing work. But you know what? They only get paid $16 AT MOST a day." Frankly, I was rather shocked to hear the very measly amount they get paid for their work. I really wonder how they find the motivation to work, or even find means and ways to leave their country to find work in Singapore, because he also told me that they take three to four years to pay off their debts to their agents.

With these added knowledge from the rather eventful cab ride, as he was turning to my house, I saw many of these foreign workers working hard and crazily in the rain, and I must admit, my heart went out to them. I felt bad for the way they were being treated by Singaporeans who claim to be multi-racial, yet clearly not showing any form of understanding towards these men, who are human beings as themselves.

I don't deny that every time I walk to the bus stop and pass the houses where there are foreign workers working or living at, I walk just a little bit faster because I fear what they may do. I don't deny that when I see them on buses I sometimes in my mean moments blame them for the way the bus smells. I don't deny that there are times when I drive and I see them cycling or walking on the roads I get pissed and horn at them.

But when I reflect and think of how life is for them in India, or Bangladesh, or even the other countries they come from, I am perhaps, smelly and somewhat scary to them. For example, in India, I know that they walk on roads like nobody's business and it is that culture they have brought along with them to Singapore.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be good for us, as Singaporeans to reflect and truly live up to our name and pride of being a multi-racial country that is willing to try to embrace other cultures, and accept them, wherever they may come from.

Singapore, let's check our attitudes together!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cyclists are supposed to be on the roads. It's in the law. Why horn at them?

Letitia said...

HAHA actually I don't really understand why they are horned at too. Perhaps it's because sometimes there is not enough light for the drivers to identify them? Especially in the night or something..

Jemuel said...

If I am not wrong, Cyclists are required to cycle on the road in the same direction as the traffic. They also require back lights and adequate reflectors. I stand corrected.

Considering the reaction from the residents of Serangoon Gardens, most would simply say that they are being racist. However, we should consider some social factors. Most foreign workers can't help but STARE at people, especially girls, that itself seems to be very offensive regardless of who is staring.

A more selfish approach would be the "value" of the property in that area. Most people paid good money to own property in Serangoon Gardens. One can say it's being elitist, but if you moved to a neighbourhood because you think it's a safe place to bring up your kids, the last thing you'd want is to have foreign workers/strangers lurking around staring at your children.

Unknown said...

the issue of how singaporeans treat foreign workers isnt just shown in the whole issue at serangoon gardens.. the way some people treat their domestic helpers are just terrible.

Anonymous said...

sadly, all humans are selfish. and few people like to step out of their comfort zone or go the extra mile to accept others..

i admit if it was near my house and everyday i have to squeeze to get on the bus or smth..i would be unhappy too.

Walk On said...

You might also want to consider about serangoon gardens is also that of traffic. The entrance to the dorm in the initial plan was to be from a road that is only the width of one lane. To make matters worse there is also a bus route that plies along the same road. With that in mind we can all visualise in our heads the traffic situation whereby these workers' buses ferry them back from their work sites.

Anonymous said...

Before you can accept something, you need to be at odds with it. I guess as a nation we need time to accept things. Let us have enough time to be at odds with things.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the other comments that all humans are selfish and since we make up the majority of the nation, we tend to have our "exclusive" mindset in place. We judge them before knowing anything about them. We're too comfortable in our zone that we fail to see or even understand their feelings or views on this. We might have even ranked them a lower class than us. Ultimately, everyone has a different level of tolerance on this issue.

alethea said...

i guess i have to admit the fact that i do get irritated by these foreign workers especially since there is a working site in my estate. every time i want to catch a bus during the peak hour where these workers are off from work, they would crowd up the whole bus and sometimes it gets on my nerves because after a long day of hard work, they would smell. but i would try my best not to react adversely to it so as not to offend them. reason being that if they are not willing to be construction workers, i honestly do not know which Singaporean is willing to be one. if not for these construction workers, we would be homeless now.

sometimes, Singaporeans are too proud such that they think that being a construction worker is not a job suited for them because it is too low paying and "cheapskate".

i think Singaporeans should have compassion for these workers as they have to work so hard just to get their pay to survive, and to pay their agents back. sometimes, i do get irritated by them. however i think that i should show a little more patience and tolerance toward these workers.

Anonymous said...

I am... guilty as charged.

This is one of them subtle issues of racism, and I think many of us tend to look down on these foreign workers. I am of no exception of course. However, after reading your article, I guess I should really be grateful that these people are willing to do the 'dirty' job to make our country a better place to live in, even if it's in a small way.

Anonymous said...

I think Singapore in its new first-world city status has lost the very fundamental values of acceptance and tolerance that it was built upon. And adopted a rather xenophobic attitude. What is the issue here? Are we not immigrants ourselves? Granted they may be temporary workers looking for odd labour, but they should be treated with a little dignity right? Maybe some respect as well.